SOCIAL MEDIA PRESS RELEASES
Social media news releases are online press releases incorporating any of several Web 2.0 features that make it easy to add and share content, such as website links, email links, video, audio, photographs, social bookmarking, and comment features.
Detailed stories and advance campaigns with a long “shelf-life” that have associated video and high-resolution photographs.
Not good for
Time-sensitive media alerts, breaking news, and quick news tips. Many reporters check their email on Blackberrys and cell phones, and some social media news releases may not display well on handheld screens.
You can create and host your own social media news release. Most wire services will create one for you. Depending on the features you choose, you can pay between $500 to $1,500 and more to have a company produce and distribute a single press social media news release for you.
Did You Know?
• Journalists use search engines to research their stories and online press releases are searchable.
• Journalists rank press releases as the most important resource in an online news room.
• Journalists say they want to read HTML press releases, not download Word documents or PDF files.
• Use social media news releases to pitch to bloggers.
• Use Flickr to store and link to high-resolution images and video.
• If you use a wire service, shop around. The price differences between competing companies are significant.
• You can create your own searchable social media press release, with embedded video, photo, and hyperlinks.
• Post your news releases on your blog for social media benefits.
• Check out Fletcher Prince’s HTML online news releases on our website’s online news room.
• Visit free-press-release.com and pitchengine.com to experiment with your own social media news release — free!