The latest online video statistics
The online impact of YouTube is enormous.
Comscore regularly tracks and researches online video usage and the latest statistics were released in March 2009. The biggest result was that YouTube, which accounts for more than 90% of online video consumption, topped over 100 million viewers per month, reflecting Americans’ increasing consumption of online video.
The highlights of this research revealed fascinating trends about the ways Americans consume online video, including an overwhelming preference for short videos (about 3 minutes long).
- 76.8 percent of the total U.S. Internet audience viewed online video.
- The average online video viewer watched 356 minutes of video (approximately 6 hours) a month, an increase of 15 percent from the previous month.
- 100.9 million viewers watched 6.3 billion videos on YouTube.com (62.6 videos per viewer).
- 54.1 million viewers watched 473 million videos on MySpace.com (8.7 videos per viewer).
- The duration of the average online video was 3.5 minutes, up from 3.2 minutes per video in December.