Step 1: Identify Our Objectives for the Podcast
• What should the podcast accomplish for our business/organization? What is the call to action for this podcast? What are we trying to persuade our podcast audience to believe or do?
• Are we informing or entertaining our audience? Or (recommended) both?
• How will the podcast benefit our business/organization? Is the investment of time and money practical?
Step 2: Describe Our Target Audience
• Who is our target audience? What is their age, gender, occupation, location, buying behavior, preferences & podcast experience level?
• Why would they want to listen to our podcast? What would they expect? What do they want to hear? What’s the end benefit of taking the time to listen to our podcast? What’s in it for them?
Step 3: Describe the Attributes of this Podcast
• How is our podcast unique/original?
o Tone, attitude, personality
o Content, subject matter, theme
• Monologue Commentary by a single host or duo hosts
• Interviews, guests, live podcasting
• Audio, Enhanced Audio (with graphics), or Video Cast
• Scripted, Outline, or Spontaneous
• Duration in minutes
• Frequency: weekly, monthly, sporadic
Step 4: What is the Big Idea?
• Define the podcast’s key message for our audience:
Step 5: Discuss Logistics
• Brainstorm podcast topic and format ideas
• Outlines and/or scripts
• Equipment (microphones, computer, editing software, etc.)
• Intro Music (podsafe)
• Graphics (podcast logo, handouts, web links, photos)
• Schedule production, and post-production and editing time
• Web server to host and insertion in podcast directories