Keyword Essentials for Search Engine Optimization
- If you can, include your most important keyword in your domain url.
- Make a list of the most important keywords for your business. Then use a keyword research feature to determine which keywords are used most frequently by consumers. Use the Keyword Tool to get new keyword ideas. Enter keywords or URLs that are relevant to your business.
- Mention keywords in the title of your web page, in your web page headline, and throughout the copy on your home page (and the rest of your website). Don’t overdo it, but a little repetition of a key terms will clue the search bots into what your site is all about. One rule of thumb is for every 100 words on your web page, repeat the keyword 4 to 6 times. This is called keyword density. Optimal keyword density is seven percent.
- You should also repeat keywords in this way for online press releases.
- Likewise, keyword your blogs.
- Boldface your keywords in text (important for Yahoo and MSN search results).
- For online texts, omit words that are irrelevant to your business–non sequiturs will cause the search engine’s web crawlers to ignore your online content, and may lower your search ranking in Google search results.