Marketing Idea: Create a Holiday Greeting Video (with video examples)
Join Fletcher Prince on Facebook for a chance to win a FREE Holiday Greeting Video during our Holiday Greeting Video marathon, November 5-6!
Well, here it is almost Halloween, and you know what that means. Time to start thinking about the holidays! If you haven’t started already…
Everyone markets their company around the holidays, even if all they do is send a greeting card to employees or clients. The trick is — standing out from all that holiday buzz and clutter.
As you know, at Fletcher Prince we are big on marketing with YouTube video. For businesses and nonprofit organizations, YouTube is a terrific way to relate key messages that are relevant and informative for your target audiences.
Business and nonprofit managers should realize, however, that while people do go to YouTube for company and product information and how-to tips, they also want to be entertained and engaged.
Your company can be engaging by being sincere and amiable, and by reaching out to your audiences with positive messages. A holiday greeting video is an easy way to accomplish that.
It’s traditional for many businesses to send holiday greetings to their customers, clients, or members. Creating a holiday greeting video is a novel way to acknowledge that your customers matter.
Creating a holiday video can be as easy as slide show of messages and photos with background music, or a heartfelt greeting from an executive, or as complex as a funny skit featuring your employees with lots of props and settings.
Participating or helping plan a holiday greeting video can be a fun team-building activity for your employees (you can’t say that about a greeting card!). And with social media, there are so many creative ways to use a holiday greeting video, that it just makes sense to try this marketing tactic this year.
And, you know, it’s just a nice thing to do.
Ways to Use Holiday Greeting Videos for Marketing
- Wish your Facebook Page followers a happy holiday (upload the video to your Facebook Page)
- Send a special holiday email to your customers, clients, vendors, partners, and employees (saves postage and paper!). Email communications that “feature” video have higher open rates and click-through rates.
- Use it as the featured post in your blog for the holiday month (ask me how to feature a blog post on your front page).
- Play it at your holiday party, or in your lobby, or other public space.
- Share it on Twitter. The new Twitter allows YouTube video to play right on Twitter (you don’t have to click a link).
Holiday Greeting Video Production Tips
- Look at some of the holiday greeting videos on YouTube. What do you like? What do you think didn’t work so well? Ask some of the creative people on your staff for ideas. (Remember, receptionists are also creative people!)
- In each video, emphasize what is great and unique about your company or organization (incorporate your key message). For example, in the video example from the Business School at the University of Rochester, they used the New Year’s greeting video to reinforce the value of diversity at their school.
- Is location an important part of your company? Do you market locally? Photograph or videotape seasonal decorations around town, and incorporate that in your video.
- You don’t have to have “video” to make video. A collection of high-resolution images with background music can also work.
- Keep it simple and short: holiday greeting videos are best kept under two minutes or so.
- Did you mess up a few times while recording your video? Don’t trash those clips! Keep them and create a bonus blooper video (with all the participants’ permission, of course).
- To incorporate video in a special email message, or in your monthly email newsletter, create an image of your YouTube player and embed it in your email communication. Hyperlinking to the YouTube video. Be sure to include the word “video” in your email subject line.
- Say thank you to your clients, customers and supporters.
- Wish your viewers a Happy Thanksgiving.
- Have your staff talk about what they’re grateful for (personal); or relate a Thanksgiving story.
- Talk about what you’re grateful for, as relates to your business (this could work well as a slide show, if capturing video is a challenge).
- Share some Thanksgiving decorating or side-dish cooking tips.
- Show your company employees donating food to a food bank, helping out with another good cause, or other ways you give back to the community.
- Wish your viewers a Happy Holiday, Seasons Greetings, or wish them the plethora of holidays that take place in December.
- Show off the seasonal beauty of your workplace or campus.
- Record a silly skit, with props, Santa hats, etc. Show your employees around the workplace or office: decorating, icing cookies, exchanging Secret Santa presents. Use speed motion to capture the hectic pace of the holidays for a humorous effect.
- Record the haul of toys collected for Toys for Tots.
- Record an appeal encouraging donations to your company’s charity.
- Wish your viewers a Happy New Year.
- Record a mini-annual report of your organization’s achievements, or reveal your goals and plans for the New Year.
- Have your staff reveal their wishes for the New Year, or resolutions (keep it positive). How is your business going green? Being responsive to customer feedback and suggestions?
- Relate your product or services to the notion of resolutions that will deliver convenience or quality to your customers or clients: This year, resolve to (benefit) by using (product or service).
- Share a “10 Best of 2010” list of events or developments that are related to your industry.
Working with Fletcher Prince is a fun and affordable way to create holiday greeting videos for your company. We offer a special discounted rate of $125 for fans of Fletcher Prince on Facebook for holiday greeting videos recorded during our Holiday Video Greeting Marathon November 5-6, because they are just so much fun to do.
In fact, every current Fletcher Prince client will get the opportunity to record a free holiday greeting video for their business with us this year (we hope they like that better than a gift basket!)
So, please contact us if you would like us to produce a holiday greeeting video for you, and show you how to share it on YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, and through email communications. We would love to work with you!