What’s in a meme? A look at top trending social media topics of 2010
What mattered to the world in 2010? It’s easy to identify — just look at the online memes that developed on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Google search.
(A meme, you might recall, is defined as a unit of cultural information transferable from one mind to another. An Internet meme has a viral quality; it spreads quickly across platforms. Think pop culture.)
What we talked about on Facebook in 2010….
1. HMU (it means: “hit me up,” which means “call me” or “contact me”)
2. World Cup
4. iPad and iPhone 4
6. Justin Bieber
7. Games on Facebook (I find this one surprising)
8. Mineros/Miners (refers, of course, to the trapped Chilean miners)
What we tweeted in 2010….
1. Gulf oil spill
2. FIFA World Cup
4. Haiti earthquake
5. Vuvuzela (the noise-making instruments used at the 2010 World Cup)
6. Apple iPad
7. Google Android
8. Justin Bieber
9. Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows
10. Pulpo Paul (the octopus that successfully picked the winning team in each game of the World Cup finals)
What we wanted to watch on YouTube in 2010….
35 hours of new video are uploaded every minute on YouTube. The most-searched for terms on YouTube during the year show what was on our minds in 2010.
- January – Haiti
- February – luge (Nodar Kumaritashvili, a 21-year-old Georgian luger, died in a crash on a training run at the Vancouver winter Olympics).
- March – “Eclipse” trailer (movie trailer)
- April – iPad
- May – Eminem “Not Afraid” (music video)
- June – Shakira “Waka Waka” (music video about the World Cup)
- July – double rainbow (a random video that went viral after it was mentioned by Jimmy Kimmel and spun off a number of parodies and songs)
- August – bed intruder (a news clip of a brother’s protest — Antoine Dodson — about his sister’s attack that went viral and also spun off a number of parodies and songs)
- September – halo reach (an X360 game)
- October – whip my hair (music video with Willow Smith)
- November – firework (music video with Katy Perry)
What did we search for on Google?
The fastest rising search terms on Google were
Posted on December 14, 2010, in Consumer Trends, Facebook Tips, Twitter Tips, Video, YouTube Video Tips and tagged bed intruder, chatroulette, Chilean miners, Facebook, Google, meme, top 2010 trends, Twitter, World Cup, YouTube. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.