Is summer the right time to send email newsletters?
With the popularity of Twitter and Facebook, it’s easy to disregard the impact of email marketing. However, email marketing can increase your company’s popularity on social networks and has been found to be a highly effective marketing technique.
And summer is a great time to send email newsletters and announcements. I do feel with social media, you have to be on top of it every day. I don’t recommend auto-scheduling your social media updates. But email is different. You can take care of a whole summer of content and promotions, schedule it, and head to the pool 🙂
Summer is also a great time to start building your email contact lists with friendly outreach now, so that your program will be robust and in gear in time to do some some heavy-duty marketing later, such as in the fall, around the holidays, or at the end of the year.
Last year, we implemented a successful email marketing campaign for Fall Properties. The newsletters had much higher than industry average open rates, as much as 50%, instead of the average 12%.
What made their clients open these newsletters? Email marketing best practices, including
- We started with a clean, permission-based list. That is where trust begins, and it cannot be emphasized enough. It’s better to have a small list of people who really want to read your email communications than to have a large list that may result in your email communications being marked as spam.
- We created an attractive design. Branding is important.
- We wrote informative subject lines. Subject lines are what get email opened.
- We put the emphasis on local-specific, seasonal content that was interesting to their clients, with less emphasis on promotion (but still some).
- We included video in each email newsletter. This was often the promotional piece of the newsletter. The click-through rates for the videos were quite high.
We are a partner, and we’re experienced in creating appealing email campaigns that get results. Check out our online portfolio of email newsletters, and contact us to create an email marketing campaign for you.
Want to try it on your own? Use our Constant Contact link to get a free 60-day trial, plus complimentary help from us as you get started with your email program.
Want more information about email marketing in the summer months? Read these articles for great email marketing ideas…