A fun, creative, and free photo project: marketing mosaic
I am a big fan of Big Huge Labs, which offers a number of free ways to use your online photos and create photo products. These are creative and affordable tools for marketing your business or nonprofit organization.
In your downtime, you might try making a photo mosaic of your business. It’s free and easy to make, and you can use it in a variety of ways.
A mosaic is a quick way to capture and convey the essence of your business and what makes it unique, and it’s a great way to feel good about your accomplishments.
Collect Those Photos!
Here are some examples of images could you include in your mosaic (keep in mind: each image will be cropped square) —
- Company logo (use the square version you use for social media)
- Company logos of your client
- Images of staff (working, at events)
- Images of clients and customers
- Examples of your products, or service in action
You should regularly be snapping, collecting, and uploading these images online, by the way, so if you find you don’t have enough to make a mosaic, that is your photography project for the summer!
As you select images, they will be automatically placed into the mosaic, in the order you designate. It takes some tweaking, as you go, to make a visually pleasing image (see my example, below). You are basically creating a photographic quilt of your business. Or, alternatively, a photo strip.
Like all creative acts, making a photo mosaic is relaxing and revelatory. The very act of selecting and arranging these photos about your business is a good exercise in discovering and affirming what is important to you, what you value, and what you offer.
How To Market With Mosaics
Mosaics aren’t just for fun; they also have practical applications. Here are some ways you can use the mosaic —
- Use a long strip as a blog header or email newsletter header
- Insert a square mosaic into the cover sleeve of a customizable binder or appointment calendar
- Tack one up on your bulletin board (or employee bulletin board) to make you feel good every time you look at it
- Decorate your website or blog posts
- Use it as a background for an exhibit display or banner at a conference
- Frame it and display it on your reception desk, in your restaurant, etc.
- Print on letterhead, postcards, thank you cards, or notecards
- Jazz up your annual report cover
- Upload as a Twitter background
- Include it on your Facebook Page landing “welcome” page
- Make a bunch of strips and use them in brochures
All you need to get started is this Big Huge Labs link, a computer and color printer, paper, and some online photos. You can upload your photos from your computer, or directly from your Flickr account. If you don’t already have a Flickr account, now is a good time to start.
Ask us for help, and have fun with your photo mosaic! I would love to see your results 🙂