PR and Advertising Agencies on YouTube, By the Numbers

According to my analysis of 100 leading public relations and advertising firms, many professional communicators do not know how to maximize the potential marketing opportunities presented by YouTube.

Basis of Findings

I compiled a group of 100 top-billing public relations and advertising agencies.  To assemble this list, I used  O’Dwyer’s top 50 independent public relations firms (by billings), and I added some major public relations agencies not included in the ranking.

To this group, I added the top 23 advertising agencies in the Washington, DC metro area (by 2009 billings), ranked by Washington Business Journal in the 2011 Washington Business Journal Book of Lists, as well as the top 24 privately owned public relations agencies in the Washington, DC metro area (same publication).

With this information in hand, I assembled a sample of 100 influential public relations and advertising agencies with ample resources and major clients.

The best of the best.  Our industry leaders.  The kinds of agencies we would expect to deliver superlative results in all aspects of their business dealings.

Summary of Findings: Agencies are Not Maximizing the Potential of YouTube

While many claim digital expertise, in practice, the majority of top-billing public relations agencies and advertising agencies do not take advantage of the branding opportunities and search potential associated with YouTube.

Thirty percent (30%) of the agencies I analyzed have not yet established a presence on YouTube.  As for the remaining 70%, most (or nearly all) agencies on YouTube made elementary mistakes in the organization of their YouTube Channel and videos.

These additional findings apply to the 70% of agencies who had a presence on YouTube.

  • 95% of these agencies did not have a video player on their website’s home page.
  • 67% of the agencies on YouTube had not placed a YouTube button on the home page of their company website linking to their YouTube Channel.
  • 66% had uploaded video that either definitely or probably violated copyright restrictions.
  • 65% had uploaded fewer than 25 videos on their corporate Channel.
  • 64% had uploaded video that was of an unacceptable level of viewing quality.
  • 58% had achieved less than 4,500 total views for their videos.
  • 43% failed to upload an image of their corporate logo to their YouTube Channel.
  • 29% failed to add any text description at all to their videos.

If You Want to Know How Your Agency Ranks…

Please contact me to meet with you if you are interested to know if your agency was included in my analysis, what I discovered about your agency’s activities on YouTube, and how your agency stacks up to the competition.

Learn More: Come See Me Present on YouTube Optimization

I’ll be talking about how to get more views for your YouTube videos at Digital East on September 29, and I sincerely hope there will be some employees from DC area public relations and advertising agencies in the room, because, apparently, I have my work cut out for me.  Register today!

We’re Here to Help

Fletcher Prince can help you establish or makeover your YouTube Channel, optimize your videos for search, and develop a plan for creating meaningful and engaging YouTube videos that will truly reflect the reputation and expertise of your company, and be a helpful online resource to your existing and potential clients.  Call (571) 269-7559 to learn more.


About Mary Fletcher Jones

Mary Fletcher Jones is a mom, teacher, and blogger. She is also the creator of "Living Well With Autism," an online resource for caregivers of children, teens, and adults with autism and related special needs.

Posted on September 18, 2011, in YouTube Video Tips and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.


Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: