New changes to YouTube Channel features and layout
YouTube dramatically changed the appearance of YouTube Channels today, available as a preview option, removing several customization features in the new version. To me, it doesn’t appear to be a good thing. The main benefit I see is the design is much cleaner. But so many features have been sacrificed. They must have their own reasons behind it, and maybe they will re-consider as this is tested.
This change won’t affect most users yet. Right now, it’s purely an “opt-in” feature (like Facebook’s Timelines). Once you opt in, all channels will appear this way to you. Right now, it’s reversible, just click “Exit Preview” and your Channel will revert to the old design.
When the changes take place, Channels will look much more like each other. Removed features include:
- No more font selection.
- No more color selection.
- No more ability to rearrange elements on a page.
- Channel count views have been removed from display.
- Subscribers are no longer displayed (!)
- Subscriptions are no longer displayed (!)
- Friends are no longer displayed.
- “Insights” stats reports has been changed to “Analytics.”
What else is new…
- The Channel title is much more prominent, so be sure to revisit that, in case it needs tweaking.
- The total amount of video views is more prominent.
- The channel has 3 new “tabs:” “Featured” (combination of videos and playlists), “Feed” (your activity, if you choose to share it, plus Channel comments and bulletins), and “Videos” (your uploaded videos and playlists).
- You no longer have the option of featuring certain videos as you once did — for example, before, you could feature your favorite 6 or 12 uploaded videos on your Channel. It was a great feature. That’s gone now.
Sigh. The more things change, the more they are really different 😦 The new YouTube doesn’t feel very social at all. I really don’t like them taking my subscriber views away. I tried it (didn’t like it much) and “opted” out.
If you are ready to opt in and change your Channel, click this link. And let me know what you think of the new layout and features in the comments!