Baby, it’s HOT outside! How we stay cool at Fletcher Prince
Well, folks, it’s set to top 100 degrees in the DC area today. It’s also a high UV ray day. Those are dangerous weather conditions, and that calls for extraordinary means. Here are some of the fun and off-beat (not to mention creative and affordable) ways we keep cool at Fletcher Prince.
- Slow down your activities. Wonder why people do more things slowly down South? Because it’s hot, that’s why. We even talk more slowly! Slow down your pace, attempt fewer projects today, take more breaks, and even slow down your walking pace. You’ll feel cooler.
- Pick calm and reflective work activities, like blogging and filling out your editorial calendar for July. Postpone those intense activities like making videos and attending meetings for when it’s cooler.
- Turn off the lights during the day, for at least part of the day, when it’s this hot. You’ll feel cooler, and save energy, too.
- Play holiday music. Break out the Nutcracker and Nat King Cole Christmas CDs. Playing Christmas music in the summertime always makes me feel cooler!
- Wear blue. People do report feeling cooler in blue clothes, also blue clothes have a higher SPF than white clothes.
- Exercise indoors. Choose a Fairfax County indoor pool or gym, such as the ones at Providence or Oak Marr recreation centers. Or go mall-walking at Tysons II. Or check out the indoor moon-bounces at Pump-it-Up (yes, adults are allowed to bounce!)
- Increase your intake of beverages today. But skip caffeine and alcohol — they’re dehydrating. Want an icy treat? Try the “Raspados” – snow cone style treats — at the corner of Rt. 50 and Graham Road (Loehmann’s Plaza in Falls Church) in flavors like “Tiger Blood,” “Mai Tai” and my favorite, blue raspberry.
- Eat water-rich fruits and veggies, like fatigue-fighting cantaloupe, heart-healthy watermelon, and cool cucumbers, all deliciously in season now.
- Go out to lunch. Who needs to cook on a day like this? Take a leisurely lunch and eat a light meal for dinner. My favorite local salad is the grilled tuna nicoise salad at the Fairview Marriott, which is our preferred business meeting spot in Falls Church.
- Sprinkle a little baby powder on your sheets before you turn in. It absorbs moisture, making you feel cooler.
- Please, keep cats and dogs inside as much as possible, and don’t leave pets or kids alone in the car, even for an instant.
We found some of these tips in Woman’s World, and made the others up 🙂 How do you keep cool at work on a hot day?