Celebrating a year of networking lunches
At the beginning of this year, I was thinking about how I enjoyed many of the networking events I attended, but I felt frustrated at not being able to have more extended conversations with the fascinating professionals I met. I was also starting to “meet” people through social media — through the Fletcher Prince Twitter profile, blog, and Facebook Page — but I hadn’t met many of these new friends in person.
That’s when I decided to experiment with having monthly networking lunches, keeping the group size small (10 or under) so we could really connect. David and I organized events in DC, Maryland, and Northern Virginia. We used Eventbrite for registration and promotion, and we were happy with it. It’s also free, if your event is free. A terrific, organizing and social tool.
I think the experiment was a big success. We didn’t charge for the lunches; everyone just paid their own way. For the most part, we selected restaurants where lunch would cost $15 or less. Sometimes the turnout was low because some people didn’t show, but every lunch felt like a winner because that just gave us more of a chance to share and talk. And the company, conversations and food were always excellent! Thanks to everyone who shared lunch with David and me this year.
Here’s where we went –
- February – Mardi Gras lunch at RT’s Restaurant in Alexandria, VA (Creole/Cajun)
- March – Cherry Blossom lunch at Teaism in Washington, DC (Japanese)
- April – Lunch at Jaleo in Bethesda, MD (Spanish)
- May – Lunch at Pilin Thai in Falls Church, VA (Thai)
- June – Lunch at Spice Xing in Rockville, MD (Indian)
- July – Lunch at La Madeleine in Alexandria, VA (French)
- August – Lunch at Silver Diner in Falls Church, VA (American diner)
- September – Lunch at Whitlow’s on Wilson in Arlington, VA (American pub)
- October and November lunches were cancelled because of illness
- December – Holiday lunch at Clyde’s in Chevy Chase, MD (American)
Today, we are having the last lunch of 2012, at noon, at Clyde’s in Chevy Chase, Maryland. It’s “officially” sold out but we’ll make room for you if you show up.
We sponsor all kinds of events, from free seminars to mini golf tournaments, to get-together lunches and parties. Like us on Facebook to keep tabs on what we’ll be doing in 2013!
Posted on December 17, 2012, in Events and Workshops, Fletcher Prince News, Network-and-Lunch and tagged Clyde's, Fletcher Prince network-and-lunch, networking, public relations, RT's Restaurant, Silver Diner. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.