Ideas to while away a snow day
Posted by Mary Fletcher Jones
Snow day! If you’re anywhere in the Washington, DC area, you’re probably snowed in today. Maybe you’re still in your pajamas, drinking hot chocolate, and catching up on emails and blog posts.
You have my permission to be lazy all day if you want to. I am sure you deserve some down time. But if you find yourself catching cabin fever, here are some fun and constructive ways to employ your time. Some of them are even quasi-related to marketing and PR 🙂
1. Just stay home. It’s not really safe to go out, so if you don’t have to… When you drive on roads before they’re plowed, they get packed down and icy. That’s not good. Here are some ideas to work off all that nervous energy from Fairfax County
2. Learn how to get started with podcasting. Watch Ray’s Social Media Week DC session .
3. Order the nail polish inspired by the Pantone color of the year, Emerald from Sephora, $10. Inspire a conversation on design! How groovy would this be on toes? And just in time for St. Patrick’s Day, too!
4. Check out Marie Dauenheimer’s blog post on Cezanne’s studio and be transported for a moment to the warm and sunny south of France.
5. Register for a year’s worth of monthly networking lunches in the Washington, DC area. Because I really would like to meet you in person, and repeatedly so. While you have your datebook out, make two notes for March: 1. My birthday is on March 16 🙂 and 2. Cherry Blossoms are supposed to peak between March 26-30 in DC this year.
6. Catch up on the latest episodes of SCANDAL, the dramatic series about a DC area kind-0f-PR-agency. Oh, who are we kidding? It’s not even remotely related to PR! But it IS fun to watch…
7. Discover your blogging style and persona in my Social Media Week DC session on YouTube.
8. Sing out loud to something really fun and intense, like Florence + the Machine (why do I never get invited to any wild parties like this?) 🙂
and give it everything like you’ve got, like Anna Netrebko at 2:29
Come to think of it, give EVERYTHING everything you’ve got like Anna Netrebko does at 2:29
9. Make a snow logo and tweet the photo, or put it on your company Facebook Page. Bonus if you color it in, too (try food color and water in a spray bottle).
10. Warm up for 10 minutes (dance, maybe, Pandora is playing your song!) and then get out your weights and do four reps each: 12 biceps curls, 12 arm raises, 12 sit-ups, 12 outer leg lifts, 12 inner leg lifts, 12 donkey kickbacks, 12 triceps kickbacks, 12 calf raises, 12 squats/plies. Stretch.
Then call me and bug me to see if I have done them yet.
11. Write a LinkedIn recommendation for David Hyson. He is FAR too modest to ever ask for one himself, but if he has worked for you, you know he is terrific, and deserving of praise.
12. Do a Google + Hangout with friends and brain storm video and blog ideas.
13. Register for WWPR’s Brown Bag lunch on evaluation and measurement on Wednesday, March 20 (free for members $15 for non-members).
14. Follow PRofessional Solutions, LLC on Pinterest and get some ideas for your PR career wardrobe.
15. Plan your spring break. Where will you go? What will you do?
16. Leave a comment on this blog with a super idea of how to constructively use your down time.